Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Retirement home

More
14 years 2 months ago #730 by drewer
Replied by drewer on topic Re:Retirement home
I actually haven\'t been able to get a show yet. They are not allowing non family member visitors into the home until Spring. They are afraid of H1N1 and other sicknesses being spread in there. If I remember, I will share my experiences with you all.
Thanks, Drew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #860 by drewer
Sorry for the delay other things got in the way, but i finally got a show on June 3. I will try to write back as soon as possible after the show. Wish me luck!

More
13 years 11 months ago #861 by Pier
Replied by Pier on topic Re:Retirement home
Hi Drew,
great to see you again after all this time!
Let us know how your show went... for now, by the way:
GOOD LUCK !!! :-)

More
13 years 11 months ago #862 by mattr
Replied by mattr on topic Re:Retirement home
Hey Drew- Check out this old Celebracadabra episode where the challenge was to perform at a retirement home. You\'ll see some moments where things worked well and also where it didn\'t work so well....

www.vh1.com/video/shows/celebracadabra/2...all.jhtml#id=1587387

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
13 years 11 months ago #885 by drewer
Well, I just finished my first show and it was a great experience. The show lasted about 25 minutes. I would suggest that any shows not go much longer than 30 minutes (unless you want it to become nap time). Surprisingly I had nobody fall asleep that I noticed. The room was full of women, and when I say full, I mean all the audience was all women. Just a tip: If you want alone time to setup or pack up do that at home because they started coming early to the show(it takes a lot longer to walk down the hall) and after the show they definitely took their time leaving.
I would suggest doing very visual tricks ( I did a lot of productions and transpositions), when I say visual I mean that someone 200 feet back could see and understand the trick. Don\'t make the tricks too long or confusing as there may be trouble understanding the concept. Make sure to talk loud and clear too.
I did tricks that only needed me on \'stage\' and no volunteers. When I needed something to be inspected or them to try something, I would bring everything down to them so they don\'t need to move. Also be aware of who you are choosing because when I asked a lady to reach up grab an invisible coin and throw it towards the bucket (miser\'s dream), she did not seem totally aware of what she was supposed to do so I asked another lady to try (I guess it would be a hard concept for someone to understand and to do).
Over all, it was a great experience. They are definitely open to applauding so you will need a bit of crowd control (not that they would get out of control(?), but sometimes they clapped at simple things not necessarily meant to be clapped for). Also be ready for questions: A lady asked me how old I was about 5 times through out the show (In this case you should answer and smile). I would recommend anyone to perform at a retirement home.
I am open to any questions.
Thanks, Drew
PS. If you are a kids performer like myself, I noted to them that I perform for kids at parties and if they had a grandchild, they could give a business card to them.

More
13 years 11 months ago #886 by mattr
Replied by mattr on topic Re:Retirement home
Thanks Drew for sharing. I remember many, many years ago have a senior help out for one of my tricks and I soon realized that I made the wrong choice of trick which required them to notice something subtle. Live and learn.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds