MagicGizmo

Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

How many tricks for ages 6-10 in one show?

More
13 years 11 months ago #864 by Apprentice
I\'m preparing for my magic debut in about a month at the tender age of 62. I\'ve collected for years now I want to perform since I retired from my 9 to 5 job. I\'ve been told to keep kids shows about 30 minutes and to move along quickly to keep their attention span. How many tricks would be appropriate for this age group and recommended times. Patter takes time, so is the rule \"more patter and less effect?\" or \"less patter and more effect?\" Thanks! bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #865 by mattr
I think you will be in the 3-5 minute range per routine. If you are just starting out, always have a few stand-by tricks to fill the time out. I would think about the routines in terms of interactions with the kids rather than patter. For more on this read \"Seriously Silly\" It\'s fine to have some story to go along with it, but think about how often the kids get to do something such as say (or yell) the magic word. The interactions may be one-on-one with a volunteer or with a group of kids. Pick up a copy of the Seriously Silly book by David Kaye and/or the video and this will give your a great idea of how much of the routine is the trick and how much is the business around the trick. Remember: It\'s not about the magic, the magic is just the excuse to have fun, laugh, and be silly. If they are amazed at that end, that\'s a great bonus.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
13 years 11 months ago #871 by Apprentice
Great advice!! Thanks! Bob

More
12 years 5 months ago #1096 by Dynamike
Start performing for birthday parties at relatives houses for free. Record yourself on video.When you examine the video. Study how long you kept their attention. Study what tricks generated more laughter. Study what trick you require should be last as the grand finale. Study how you lost their attention with certain tricks. It will not mean the trick is bad. It means it is not presented right for that audience.

Remember, there is no such thing of a good trick. It all depends on how the trick is presented.

Another good DVD to learn more from is Chris Capehart\'s Kidding Around.

More
12 years 5 months ago #1098 by mattr
I have also seen that a new DVD was released by the Great Zucchini, see also:

magicgizmo.com/home/Childrens-Shows/the-...-great-zucchini.html

It focuses on the pre-school market which he excels in. I haven\'t seen it, but want to get it.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
11 years 1 month ago #1240 by jnrussell23
Not sure where I got this advice, but it was very helpful: kids like fast-paced, showy, colorful magic.

I discovered this after doing a show where I excitedly introduced two new tricks: miser\'s dream and my version of the multiplying golf balls/cups & balls. Both routines bombed. It wasn\'t until later that I realized those two effects may have been to \"cerebral\" for my young audience (though I\'ve seen other miser\'s dream performances with kids).

You have to bring the effects down to the level of comprehension of your audience. What is entertaining to a child at 5, may bore a child of 10 and vice versa!

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds