Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Bottom Feeders hurt our art and industry

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #282 by Vick
Sorry,
I would like to share this with as many people as possible as I sincerely believe this hurts our arts for many reasons

Philip & Henry are Bottom Feeders (not news I know)
after the $80 a show yearly contract Philip & Henry offered to performers in large markets (Washington DC/Baltimore, New Jersey/New York and other markets)

Fun Magicians is also Philip and Henry

Here is what they charge per show from the P & H website
www.philipandhenry.com/rates_ad_n.htm adult shows

$380 - 30 minute show under 80 people
$589 - 30 minute show over 80 people
+ $300 to add 1 large illusion
$389 Mingle Magic one hour
There are more prices on the page

www.philipandhenry.com/rates_bday_n.htm Family entertainment
$380 - Family Event
$289 Birthday Magic (no show time length)
There are more prices on the page

I have also personally spoke to one of their agents who dropped the priced on a top act for a one hour adult show from $3,000 to $1,800 when I would not buy at $3,000

The family prices are about normal but ......
.....$80 to $150 to the performer
The rest (over 50%) to Philip and Henry

It is our choice, we can work or not accept jobs from whomever we choose

One of my biggest beefs with P & H is whoever is going to work for these prices can\'t be every good (or is very desperate and doesn\'t understand their value)and seeing a poor show shapes the view the general public has of magic

P & H for local shows are putting out the performer that will work cheapest. Clients are not always getting a quality act and the reflects poorly on all of us.

As you well know when a party sees a poor quality act that shapes their opinion of magic and part of the reason why magic from it\'s once lofty place on the entertainment ladder is now relegate to the lowest rungs.

The choice is yours, support the degeneration of the art
Or take a stand and demand the pay you are worth

If no one took a local P & H job for one month due to low pay .......
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Vick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #320 by drewer
Sorry I don\'t quite understand. What is a bottomfeeder? Is it someone who overcharges?

More
14 years 2 months ago #601 by Appelsmagic
They are not the only ones to do this. MANY agent firms deal with their talent like this. That is why you have to really be careful who you work with.

Here is how you have to look at it. You go out and you are representing them, but THEY should also represent you. Some do, but many only care that you represent them, period. Only their cards, no signs etc, and this is what you should do as a professional. However, there are things they should do for you as well.

I worked with one who booked me in one town to follow closely with a show I had booked for myself in the next town. I would have 45 minutes to pack show in car, travel 10 minutes, and set up for next show. NO PROBLEM.
That is until I get an email the morning of the show telling me that the party was in another town that is 45 minutes away from MY show, not in the next town over. I call and get told not to worry, they will send someone to do balloons until I get there. I\'m due to start on the half hour, and I come flying into the parking lot at 31 after. ONLY 30 minutes from my last show.(I was flying) :woohoo: and after setting up, only eleven minutes late on my start time..I do the show, everyone has a great time and is laughing EXCEPT the MOM. She is giving me looks to kill all through the show. Shows done, I pack my stuff out to the car and then go back inside to say goodby and make sure everythig is ok and everyone is happy.

Now I walk in to find the client is seathing, because the agent told her that I was supposed to start 45 minutes before I got there. (The agent had me starting on the half hour from jump) When I ask the agent about this afterward, I was told that \"We would have lost the gig if we didn\'t do it that way.

Now I look like the bad guy in the clients eyes. I was late in their eyes. I was the non professional.
THIS WAS THE LAST TIME I WORKED FOR THIS AGENCY. :angry:

Now when I am approached by agency\'s, (I don\'t look for them) I check them out as much as possible, and then I tell them what I want for a show. What they can get after that is fine with me son long as I get what I want. ;)

YOU are the one in the public eye. YOU should always be professional and if you find an agent that treats you good, you will keep their clients happy. P&H make a fortune off of the backs of the NEWBIES who are willing to work for $100-150. If half of them knew what they were making, they would be screaming for more money.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds