MagicGizmo

Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

New to Illusion Building

More
15 years 10 months ago #13 by ssmagic
What ideas do you have for someone new to illusion building and wants to add an illusion to a stage show?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #15 by mattr
Replied by mattr on topic Re:New to Illusion Building
Here are some basic thoughts that could help:

(1)Depending on your level of construction /carpentry skills you may wish to first enhance your building skills. Try some woodworking books, assmble the needed tools, build a few sample projects, take a class, and/or find a friend who can help you who has the skills and tools. Illusions can be tricky so don\'t start off with a complex cabinet trick as your first project.

(2) Determine where you are going to perform it. Is it on a typical stage or in a shopping mall? Do you have control of the angles of viewing? This will help you select the appropriate illusion for your needs.

(3) Consult some books. Easy Build Illusions by Paul Osborne or Build Your Own Illusions by Jim Sommers may be good to start with.

(4) Before you build, try a cardboard actual size mock-up. Get a big refrigerator box and some duct tape. Make it to actual dimensions, use your assistant or a suitable stand-in to see if everything fits. You will learn a lot from this exercise.

(5) Build something simple at first. Think about building something that can be transported or broken down. Also, see if you can buy a used illusion from someone who is changing their show, it may be easier and better in the long run.

Best of luck.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
15 years 7 months ago #69 by JimRoberts
This is excellant advice. I seem to remember that Harry Bouton (before he became Blackstone) learned cabinet making which he said served him well. This may be apocryphal, but it makes a point.

More
15 years 1 month ago #172 by magictvlv1
I've just recently gotten back into magic and frankly I am appalled at the quality of most magic literature. Paying 40 bucks for badly photocopied spiral bound unexplained sketches is outrageous.

Some of the videos I have seen are almost as bad.

Is there anything good and usefuil out there?

More
15 years 1 month ago #174 by mattr
Replied by mattr on topic Re:New to Illusion Building
The Osborne plans and books are good with well-drawn illustrations. Most illusion books still require you to have a good understanding of carpentry and require the builder to fill in the gaps.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #175 by jdmagic09
Check out the knowledge that J C Sum & MagicBabe Ning have to offer. J. C's thoughts on illusions, presentations, and original ideas are places where I looked for inspiration when creating my show. Check out his site and become a fan for yourself www.illusionbooks.com This website is an on-line portal for J C's original illusion books, lecture notes, performance DVDs and fabricated illusions as well as an illusion resource for the international magic community.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds