Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Just Thought I Would Take Time To Say Hello

More
12 years 2 months ago #1125 by Wizardo
Hi
My name is Richard, I am a native of Phoenix Ariz.
Like most kids my age we watched TV every Saturday morning to see Mark Wilson on The Magic Land of Alakazam. Best kids magic show ever. I never missed a show I was hooked!

I have always had a fascination with magic and locks and keys from an early age of four. I learned how to pick locks with home made tools around age of eight. Dialing open combo padlocks and could open just about any keyed padlock back then. Then someone gave me a pair of Smith & Wesson double locking handcuffs and was able to get out of them with a small safety pin very slightly bent just right it would open them in seconds behind my back and the pin was easily concealed in back pocket so hands could be shown empty before and after the escape.

I grew up to become a Professional Locksmith imagine odds on that! I run my own Locksmith Business here since 1981.

About the age of eight I also found the ever famous Bert Easley\'s Fun Shop! I went there every Saturday to look at all the magic tricks in the glass case and the expensive larger items behind the counter. I bought something every time I went there. There was a locally famous magician that worked there named Jack Sutherland. I bugged him to no end. He knew if it was Saturday I was on my way! I wanted to see him do all the tricks in the glass case.

Jack was great he would amaze me for hours with just simple regular items. He told me one day after many months of buying cheap beginner magic tricks stop wasting your money on these things and buy books that is where the real magic is found. He handed me a hardback book the Tarbell Coarse In Magic Vol 1. That was the best investment ever I learned so much from that book. It is still on my shelf. I hated it when Jack Sutherland left Bert Easley’s and started Sun Magic it became a very successful magic shop. They never were able to replace him he was one of a kind. Bert’s was never the same after that for me.

I collect vintage safe banks, locks & keys, magic tricks. I don’t have the guts to get on stage and perform but like to do close up and slight of hand for friends and customers, they remember you when if you are able to amaze them with something simple especially if it incorporates my business card.

Looks like there is lots to learn on this site hope to be able to contribute something as well.

Thanks Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #1128 by Pier
Hey Richard,
great to have you here!
I\'m not a performer too (so I can fully understand your feelings), but I have a lifelong interest in magic, like ALL the guys here.
And it\'s a wonderful company to be in!!!

Hope you\'ll have fun and will find something of your liking (I\'m sure you will ;) ).
Thanks also for finding the time to introduce yourself.

Catch you later, bye! :)

More
12 years 2 months ago #1131 by mattr
Hi Richard and Welcome -

The stories of visiting magic shops as a kid are always fond memories. I remember visiting Hollywood magic when I was a teenager and there was a gentleman pointing to various props saying \"what is that? ok I\'ll take one of those...\"

He clearly was buying these for someone else but money seemed to be no object as he accumulated many hundreds of dollars of items. I think this is how collectors are born since you couldn\'t buy it as kid and later, you collect it when you can finally afford and bring back all those great memories.

I hope to \"see\" you around the \"Gizmo\" often...enjoy...Matt

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
12 years 2 months ago #1134 by Wizardo
Hi Matt

Those memories of Bert\'s Easley\'s Fun Shop and Jack Sutherland are the best, it was a great time to be a kid back then.

That\'s what I\'m doing now is buying things I had back then to bring back those memories.

I went searching for an Old Wood Coin Slide made in Japan. Looked on and off for a long time and finally seen a link to this site to your ad.

When I seen it I was excited to see how good it looked. I didn\'t think many survived. This one is made really well, don\'t remember them being this thick of wood very cool. And it doesn\'t have that old musty steamer trunk smell either that\'s great! I am glad I looked, I not only found what I wanted, I found this site too which is great so it is a double bonus! :)

Thanks for the great Coin Slide and the replies.
I\'ll be around, lots to read here and will try to add something here and there. :side:

Thanks Richard

More
12 years 2 months ago #1135 by Wizardo
Thanks Pier for the reply.

Glad to know I\'m not the only one here that isn\'t a performer. I am feeling kinda out of place with all the pros here. I was pretty good doing small illusions and close up but never felt I could entertain a large crowd so never tried. :unsure:

Yes this is a nice place to be glad I found it. I don\'t know how I missed it all this time.

I don\'t usually get involved in forums but this one sure has my attention! :)

I\'ll be talking to you again.

Thanks
Richard

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds