MagicGizmo

Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Joining a magic show in some capacity

More
12 years 5 months ago #1094 by p.k.
I really don\'t have the resources to become an actual performer, and frankly, don\'t have the nerve to become one. I would like to join as an assistant, but unfortunately, I\'m a guy, so I could never be an actual assistant. :( But I would love to work as some kind of stagehand or crew detail. How do I do so? Who do I inquire?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #1097 by Dynamike
Start small and work yourself up. Call around your local area to find out if any magicians would like help with assisting at house parties. You will get the feel from a relaxing start. When you get to stage shows you will already had some experience from doing the house shows. You will feel more relaxed to go to a higher level, and the theater magician will be more relaxed in hiring you because you had experience. Maybe being an assistant is easier than you think if you start off with simple experience first.

More
12 years 5 months ago #1100 by mattr
Copperfield actually uses quite a few male assistants, not in the traditional sense, but they help manage audience members that come up on stage etc.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
12 years 5 months ago #1101 by p.k.
mattr wrote:

Copperfield actually uses quite a few male assistants, not in the traditional sense, but they help manage audience members that come up on stage etc.

See, I read somewhere that his show has something like 50-100 people work in his show. But since he\'s the biggest name in the business, I figured you have to be experienced or connected to join.

I used to work as an usher and ticket taker at events, and I once worked at a live show of his. In fact I saw a slight exposure slip-up of his Origami performance, but that\'s a whole other story.

Thanks so much for your advice!

More
12 years 5 months ago #1109 by Pier
Hi P.K.,
and welcome to this forum, btw! B)

Just out of curiosity: can you perform some magic tricks? Maybe you already have an experience with some little close-up tricks or something...?
Cards, coins, whatever?

More
12 years 5 months ago #1110 by p.k.
I don\'t have an interest in sleight-of-hand or close-up; in fact I haven\'t even tried that since I was a kid.

I would love to help out on stage illusions with big apparatuses. I already know too much on the secrets (but I obviously won\'t share them publicly). I wished I could afford to own such things, so I figured the next best thing would be to help out.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds