MagicGizmo

Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Black Art Question

More
15 years 6 months ago #87 by DrewManning
In one of the other sections of the board, I read about the adhesive black art maerial that can be applied to props that rely on the BA principle to function.

My question is this material suitable for larger applications such as stage panels (backdrops)? It seems like it wouldn\'t be that difficult to make BA panels out of sheets of plywood and those would be failry easy to transport and set up.

There is a great BA utility device in Tarbell that I am intersted in playing with, but it seems like the set up for a BA show can be a real chore and this might simplify it so that I can build and use the device.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #88 by matt
Replied by matt on topic Re:Black Art Question
It could be used but might be too expensive to be practical. A standard triple velvet might be more cost effective for the panels you are thinking of. It could be easily stretched and stapled onto plywood.

One the advantages of the material you mentioned in the article:

magicgizmo.com/home/articles/71-magic-wo...d-how-to-use-it.html

is that it is extremely thin and therefore perfect for a movable flap where clearances are tight. It is also good for applying to a board or panel and there is no need to wrap the material around the board to staple.

I guess the answer really depends on the details of what you are trying to do and size of the panels but my guess it would be better to go with a traditional velvet fabric for larger applications.

More
15 years 6 months ago #92 by DrewManning
Replied by DrewManning on topic Re:Black Art Question
Thanks for the input.

Do you know if there is any difference in the triple balck sold by Don Drake and this suff other than the thickness and adhesuive properties?

I double checked the price and his is selling for $15/yd and it\'s a 44 inch wide bolt. The adhesive stuff we\'re talking about is just over $5 a linear foot cut from a 45 inch bolt. So cost wise, it seems about the same to me.

I don\'t want to invest in the wrong material, but would like the smallest lightest set ups possible.

I like the trial and error that comes with figuring this out, but not the expense of the T&E :lol:

More
15 years 6 months ago #93 by matt
You might try the Fidelio Black velvet at Joann Fabrics. Hunt down a 50% coupon in your newspaper and you\'ve got a great deal. Sometimes finding the right black velvet can take a little bit of work, you need one with no sheen and black as possible. Try your local fabric store first to see if they have a suitable fabric.

More
15 years 6 months ago #94 by DrewManning
Replied by DrewManning on topic Re:Black Art Question
Thanks for the tip on Joann! There are several of those around town here.

I am anxious to play around with this and see if I can make it work :)

More
15 years 6 months ago #95 by matt
No problem, good luck and report back, how everything turns out.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds