MagicGizmo

Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Which would you value more?

More
14 years 2 months ago #659 by Appelsmagic
This subject came up in another form on a different forum, but I thought the question is an important one.

Which would you as a performer value more? Someone who tells you how great you are all of the time, or someone who calls it like it is. Tells you what was good and what needs improvement.

Personally, I would and always have prefered to hear the unvarnished truth. I won\'t know it needs work unless someone tells me. If all we ever get is smoke and mirrors, who really gets deceived?

So I am asking you...Which do you prefer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #661 by Pier
Hi Eric,
mine is just the opinion of a mere hobbyst (that\'s one that has ALWAYS something to improve...); I think that while compliments are very welcome, if one gets just compliments, he could be damaged, in a way.
In fact, it could be considered rare the fact that everything is always very good. And even rarer, as You stated, the fact that one can see by himself where are the fails.

Now, I\'d distinguish two levels of \"warning\":
- a laypeople telling you what was \"wrong\" (or unsuitable, etc). Danger: there\'s a lot of work still to do! In fact if my methods or some details are evident to a laypeople, this could means to me that the performance is not ready for the public yet.
- a fellow magicians telling some \"faults\" (this or that \'flashes\', some dead times in the presentation, etc). Great! I have things to work on, but are things evident just to some \"in the know\", so:
a-) the secrets are safe, and
b-) this is what I consider \'constructive criticism\'. A good point to improve from.

Just my 2 Euro cents (since I live in Italy :-) )
Cheers

More
14 years 2 months ago #662 by Appelsmagic
Good points Pier,

When I asked the question, I was speaking about comments from non-lay observers.(although I should have been more specific) I believe that if we do NOT listen to the public in general, we do so at our peril.

By non lay persons I mean other magi or someone in theater.
If someone with a theater background sees my show and tells me or offers insight as to what maybe a better way to block something, or a comment on costumes or lighting improvements, I will listen to what is said, weigh it out with the effects being done and see what the possibilities are. If there is video available, (This can be the greatest tool that a magician can have now to improve) I will study that video and using the remarks, decide if what is said is worth the changes.

All of this is to improve my performances, for I believe that our shows and performances should ALWAYS be evolving. We should ALWAYS strive to improve, to polish, and if you reach that point that you say it can\'t get any better, it is time to give it up and stop performing because you are only kidding yourself.

More
14 years 2 months ago #664 by mattr
The best feedback is always a mixture of what went well and what could be improved. Receiving feedback is also a skill. Receiving feedback should be done such that listening is the primary mode and asking questions to clarify what is exactly meant. As a receiver of feedback always show your appreciation, because if the person feels you were offended by the feedback , he may not be open to provide it next time. As soon as defensiveness creeps in, the ability to learn shuts down.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
14 years 2 months ago #670 by Appelsmagic
I couldn\'t agree more. The other thing is to know who to listen, I mean really listen to. There are some who blow smoke and tall you things that might be wrong for you and your show.

Let me put it this way; A very wise man once told me \" don\'t accept everything I say as gospel. Don\'t take everything someone else says as gospel. LISTEN to both sides, add in what YOU already know, weigh it all out, and come to YOUR OWN decission.\"

This philosophy has served me well throughout my life as both a law enforcement officer and a magician.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1242 by jnrussell23
I have done public speaking for decades, giving literally thousands of presentations (non-magical). I pay close attention to my audience\'s reactions. I know when I\'ve done well, though I also appreciate being thanked for a job well done.

When it comes to critique or criticism, I want feedback, but you have to filter through it. Is the criticism valid? Are things pointed out you missed? Does the person always criticize (are they professional crankers?)

We can always improve. Be your own hardest critic. Videotape yourself and watch as if you were in the audience.

Don\'t ever settle for mediocrity!

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds