MagicGizmo

Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Illusions in theatre plays and musicals

More
14 years 1 month ago #603 by Professor Jackson
One of many magic history subjects I am interested in is the history of illusions in dramatic performances, especially Broadway and London\'s West End Theatre District. I would be interested in Forum Members comments on illusions they have seen in stage plays and musicals or that they have read about in historical literature and periodicals.

I work part-time (on call) here in Austin, Texas with Local 205 of IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees as a stagehand. In August 2009, the musical Wicked came to Bass Concert Hall on the University of Texas campus. This is a 4000 seat, state of the art facility. Each year six or more touring Broadway shows come through in addition to a large assortment of other performances.

Wicked is adapted from the novel of the same name and tells the story of the events before Dorothy landed in OZ. The musical Wicked has a number of magical effects worked into the show including a flying broom and the lead character vanishing into the floor in the second act.

But the most impressive effect was at the end of the first act. The girl with the green skin, who is to become the Wicked Witch, is standing upstage center. A large number of cast members are spread across the entire stage. At a certain point in the musical action the lead character rises into the air and out over the rest of the casts\' heads. It is an effective and dramatic levitation. The lighting for the levitation is especially fantastic, as it looks like vibrations spreading out in the air around the woman floating in the air.

I would like to hear commentary from anyone who has also seen this show or other stage show which have illusions. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #605 by mattr
There are a number of magic patents for Theatrical Effects some of these are in the Magic Secrets area (you need upgraded access) of this site, there are even more in the Patent eBook in store area of this site.

Many of the effects are magical but maybe not exactly an illusion you would see in a magic show.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
14 years 1 month ago #606 by Appelsmagic
I saw Doug do the Magic show. That was full of illusions. :whistle: Peter pan does a lot of flying. :silly: Lots of traps and such in other productions, but the one illusion that I thought was the nicest and best fitting was produced for Disney\'a Beauty and the Beast, when the beast turned back into the prince at the end. ;)
He rose up off of the stage just like in the movie, but then instead of spinning like a top and changing like in the movie, he was layed out like on a clock face and started spinning clockwise head over heels :X and made the change without any cloth, smoke or any other type of cover. :silly: When he stopped spinning, he was human once more. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! :woohoo:

More
14 years 1 month ago #616 by OliverRoss
Jim Steinmeyer worked quite a lot on theatrical magic production, specially at Disney\'s Imagineering.
He helped aswell on the London musical Mary Poppins. The most magical moment to me is when she climbed up the wall.
Speaking of Disney : Years ago they had a stage show in Disneyland Paris called \"Disney\'s Classics, the music and the magic\". It featured the appearing of Aladdin\'s genie in a puff of smoke, the \"swimming\" of the little mermaid, the flying carpet with Jasmin and Aladdin sitting on top of it and the flying of Mary Poppins on stage.

Oliver.

More
14 years 1 month ago #625 by OliverRoss
I\'m sorry, I forgot that this year a new play is coming out on stage : Peter Pan. It\'ll be in San Francisco. Starring Cathy Rigby this show will of course use the flying of the main characters and different puppeteers (crocodile...).
Beginning : April 27th 2010.

Oliver.

More
13 years 9 months ago #901 by james graham
the flying apparatus used in \"peter pan\" was discussed in an issue of \"millimeter magazine\" which is a magazine that follows cutting edge advancements for film, theatre, and tv. the harness allows a large variety of movement. a loose fitting sweater must be worn over the harness which is designed to allow a change in the center of gravity to allow peter to fly with wendy (a second person)
check out the mag for details. then check out david copperfields \"flying\" tv special. he flew into a big plexiglass box, a lid was placed over the top and a lovely assistant walked over the lid as david walked upside down across the lid with her. the lid was removed and david flew out. he then flew with another person from the audience. i\'ll let you work out the details but i caught it immediately.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds