Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Magic Inventors

More
15 years 7 months ago #55 by spellbinder
Magic Inventors was created by spellbinder
Magic inventors have always played important role throughout our magic history. These are the people who basically think up the ideas for the rest of us to play with and work into our performances. Many tricks are so old that we no longer know who was first to come up with the idea, but when we know who first thought of it, and who first published it, we need to hold on to that information and give that inventor well deserved credit.

There are several lists of famous magic tricks and the names of their inventors on the Internet, but that is not enough for me. I want to know when the person lived so I can place him (or her) into historical context. I want to know what influenced that inventor, and what other items he or she has invented.So, with that in mind, I created my \"Brief Biographies of Magic Inventors\" that includes a photo (where possible) importnat dates, places, lists of inventions as well as books or articles the person wrote. If the person is still alive, there is often a Web site or a video available.For convenience in translating the material into other languages, I have provided a link to BabelFish on each page, for as we know, interest in magic is worldwide.
Here is a link to the start of the biographies. The inventors are listed alphabetically by last name, using the stage name or the name by which the person is best known (so you\'ll find \"Bongo, Ali\" listed, but not \"Wallace,William,\" for example). magicnook.com/forum/bioAB.htm

I have also begun to cross link names and books where possible, but this may take me the rest of my life to complete. I invite suggestions for inventors who should be included, but remember this is a list of inventors, not performers, so you will not find David Copperfield, for example.One use for the biographies is to help new inventors and writers determine if the effect they are researching has any prior sources. However, keep in mind that we are all fallible and that no one source should be taken as absolute proof. The more people contribute to a resource such as this, and the ones provided by Magic Gizmo, the better and more accurate it will eventually become.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #188 by OliverRoss
Replied by OliverRoss on topic Re:Magic Inventors
Hi Spellbinder,

Excellent work. Congratulation ! Here a link of another website concerning the Who is Who in Magic.
Maybe this could help you :

www.magictricks.com/bios/whoswho-a.htm

Oliver.

More
14 years 1 month ago #642 by Appelsmagic
Replied by Appelsmagic on topic Re:Magic Inventors
\" but remember this is a list of inventors, not performers, so you will not find David Copperfield \"

Check Tarbell 8. He did invent a mind reading effect using a \"FLAIR\" pen.

More
14 years 1 month ago #646 by spellbinder
Replied by spellbinder on topic Re:Magic Inventors
Appelsmagic wrote:

\" but remember this is a list of inventors, not performers, so you will not find David Copperfield \"

Check Tarbell 8. He did invent a mind reading effect using a \"FLAIR\" pen.

I\'m afraid he still wouldn\'t make it. For one thing, the effect is in Tarbell 7, not 8 (where he contributed a foreword because by then he was famous as David Copperfield) submitted under his real name of David S. Kotkin performing under the magic name of Davino at the time. We wouldn\'t hold that against him either, but his effect uses a type of Flair pen that is becoming extinct, if not already doomed, and depends on a simple marking principle which is not unique to David - only to the way it was used with that model of pen. The principle itself is so old, no one knows the innovator.

However, thanks for responding. We welcome any assistance when it comes to collecting more names or correcting errors or ommissions in our data.

More
14 years 1 month ago #647 by Dale
Replied by Dale on topic Re:Magic Inventors
hey this is great thanks.

In many ways I am more interested in the inventors than the performers..

I can see I will spend a bit of time looking through this :)

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #648 by spellbinder
Replied by spellbinder on topic Re:Magic Inventors
To Oliver Ross:

Thanks for showing me this site. I was able to find a few bio dates that I was missing, but it seems to be limited mostly to American performing magicians and where inventors are included, only lists the most famous of inventions. But thanks for the information!
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by spellbinder.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds