Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

A Picture Of Antonio Diavolo

More
14 years 3 months ago #523 by veegates
Hi,
I am hoping someone with a better memory than mine will help. A while back I built a version of Antonio Diavolo. Recently, I had a few people email me and tell me I needed to reshoot the video that I posted on Youtube. My video is short and does not include several of the moves that he is capable of performing.
After giving this some thought, I decided to reshoot with a proper performer interacting with him.
One thing that I thought about including in the routine is giving my acrobat the ability to smoke. In all of the books about Robert-Houdin when he describes his routine with Diavolo he refers to the acrobat smoking a pipe. I know I saw a line drawing somewhere in an old book that showed Diavolo with a pipe in his mouth.
Knowing that Diavolo does not have the ability to hold the pipe in his hand, he would need a hole in his mouth the allow the pipe to be inserted. I also built a Dancing Harlequin that has the ability to smoke and I am convinced that is the only way the acrobat could smoke. If you have ever seen any of The Harlequins you can see the hole. I converted my Harlequin into a Skeleton with an articulated jaw where his mouth could open to insert the pipe. My acrobat does not have that feature. I like the look of my acrobats face and I am not sure about drilling a hole in his mouth. The internal functions are not a problem, I am concerned about the aesthetics of the face.
If anyone can help me locate this drawing, It would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #524 by mattr
Was it in the Steinmeyer book (Antonio Diavolo, A Souvenir of his Performance)? I don\'t have the book myself so I can\'t say.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
14 years 3 months ago #525 by veegates
Replied by veegates on topic Antonio Diavolo
Hi Matt,
Thank you for your reply. I just checked...it is not in that one. I am afraid it might be in Fechners\' book. I don\'t own that one. I am not even sure how much detail there was in the line drawing. I know that the hole in the mouth of the Dancing Harlequin is kind of a distraction so I am not sure if it is worth it for the effect. It would just be great to have it a bit closer to Robert-Houdins acrobat.
Thank you again!

More
14 years 3 months ago #526 by mattr
Replied by mattr on topic Re: Antonio Diavolo
I have the Fechner books so will take a look. There is quite a bit of material in those, so could take a while

More
14 years 3 months ago #527 by veegates
Replied by veegates on topic Antonio Picture
Hi Matt,
Thank you very much! The effort is truly appreciated.
I was in Paris a few years ago visiting a friend. While at the cafe, my friend went to a table on the other side of the room and when he came back he told me who he was speaking with and it turned out to be Christian Fechner. He asked me if I knew who the gentleman was and at that time I didn\'t, so when my friend asked if I wanted to be introduced I passed. Wish I would have taken the time to meet him!!
Again, I thank you for looking!

More
14 years 3 months ago #531 by mattr
Replied by mattr on topic Re: Antonio Picture
There are number of drawings of Antonio in the Fechner books but none of them have him with a pipe in his mouth that I could find. The is also a nice color photo from the John Gaughan collection. Also, if anyone is interested, I do have an extra set of the Fechner books in the classified ads section.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds