Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Reel

More
14 years 5 months ago #488 by drewer
Reel was created by drewer
I bought a three pack of reels from target to use in a trick. I have only used one. The reels are obviously reels with about two feet of string and are pretty quick. On the end of the string are bead like things with a small hole through them. What else could I use with the other two? I know about vanishing stuff but how could I do that? Thanks, Drew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #489 by Pier
Replied by Pier on topic Re:Reel
While I won\'t discuss any method here, I can suggest you on the spur of the moment to investigate:

- Any \"traditional\" ring flight effect;
- The (cheap) booklet \"Reel Magic\" by Albenice; it was written in the \'30s or similar but it\'s still considered a modern text;
- A video by Paul Diamond on the reels and reel magic;
- Some Tony Anverdi and Marconick works with reel, silks and rings (bracelets type). Mind You, Anverdi and Marconick\'s books aren\'t so easy to find;
- Consider also most of the stage effects involving invisible thread; in fact, if the thread is attached to a reel You can even pull the thread out of play just after the effect is done.

Hope that helps a little,
Cheers ;)

More
14 years 2 months ago #604 by Professor Jackson
Replied by Professor Jackson on topic Re:Reel
The reels that you describe you found at Target sound like the devices that are used to hold a workplace ID card on a person\'s belt and can be pulled out to show to security.

You might look into purchasing a reel from a quality magic dealer. Over fifty or sixty years ago magic manufacturers like Petrie and Lewis made reels that were pieces of engineering. Different types of reels had different speeds and controls. These were and are expensive pieces of equipment, but can do some incredible effects. Most reels I have seen at magic shops these days are pretty poorly built, but I am sure if you search, you will find something of quality. It will be worth the investment.

More
14 years 2 months ago #612 by Pier
I totally agree with Prof. Jackson; maybe the most advanced \"modern\" reel I\'ve seen is the \"Swedish Reel\" manufactured by El Duco (Mr. El Duco sadly and untimely died last year, as a side note).
Actually You gave me a good idea Prof. Jackson: in the next few days I\'ll take some pictures and post details for a couple of great reels I own in the \"Apparatus\" section of this forum.
This should be of further help for some people...
thanks

More
14 years 2 months ago #628 by Pier
I\'ve done it! If You see under the Magic Apparatus section of this forum, especially under \"OTHER\", you\'ll find my post on a pair of reels. Hope it will help and clarify many questions. I think I cannot go any further... without explaining some tricks (which I won\'t do!).
Bye !

More
13 years 10 months ago #899 by james graham
Replied by james graham on topic Re:Reel
saw a \"reel\" good self tying shoe string trick on youtube about a year ago. e-mail me if you need instructions

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds