Magic Collectors and Builders Online Resource

Shopping Cart

The cart is empty

MagicGizmo Login

Vintage Magical Block Penny To Dime

More
12 years 2 months ago #1126 by Wizardo
Hi

I just bought a vintage Magical Block Penny to Dime.
I have never see this simple beginners trick made like this one. It is made with a wooden block and the penny shell is a wheat penny.

Was advertised as maybe made in the 30\'s it had a 1933 Mercury Dime in the Penny Shell. I don\'t think it is that old but has to be old for sure, belonged to someones dad long long ago.

I had to have it just for the unusual Wheat Penny Shell, it is the first one I have ever seen. I would like to know if anyone can tell me if this item was made by Adams that make the Magical Block Penny to Dime or is this block just made by some individual not a store bought item. It has the usual red felt on the bottom.

I can\'t find any reference to one being made out of wood or one that had this wheat penny shell. Hope someone will recognize it as being a professionally made store bought item.

Thanks Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #1129 by Pier
Hmmm... maybe MATT, our valuable webmaster, will have a clue, being a great collector, history guy and connoisseur of the Magic field

More
12 years 2 months ago #1130 by mattr
It very well could be an Adams. Many of their early items were made of wood. I believe Adams started in 1906 so could be in the time frame you mention.

Making of the gaffed penny would be out of skill level for most homemade efforts.

Magicgizmo.com administrator

More
12 years 2 months ago #1132 by Wizardo
Thanks I appreciate the reply.

Yes I remember Adams made lots of their things out of wood. When I seen this I was surprised to see it has to be wood by the rounded corners and on the bottom along one edge you can see light color like wood where the felt is slightly worn down.

The wheat back penny shell is what really caught my eye. I never seen one before, have you? If I knew how long it\'s been since a wheat back shell was made that would narrow it down a little. So just for that alone I had to have this item.

If it turns out to be an Adams that would be great!
You being a collector it is good to hear you think it might be and Adams and didn\'t say not a chance is encouraging. :side:

It is actually still in transit to me and should be here tomorrow.

Thanks see you around
Richard

More
12 years 2 months ago #1133 by Wizardo
Hi

Yes I figured if anyone would know it would be Matt alright.

I just thought it to be unusual enough since I never seen one maybe someone else may like to see it.

That\'s the first wheat back penny shell I have ever seen and wondering how long it\'s been since one was last made or are they still made I don\'t know.

Thanks Richard

More
11 years 10 months ago #1192 by drdlh
Although I didn\'t see a picture with the original post, this thread sent me looking and voila!!! -- I found I still have my 1950\'s nickel to penny to dime. It\'s done with a red wood, lathe-turned little box. And it\' got the wheat penny. Anyone know the history on this? I\'m pretty sure I got it from Gene Gordon.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds